Are You worried about being Diabetic, looking for answer to Prevent Diabetes. Know it ALL
What is Diabetes ?
Diabetes is also known as Diabetes mellitus, which causes high blood sugar and is a metabolic disease.
An Hormone in your body named Insulin transfers sugar from the blood into your cells so that is could be used for energy. If someone has Diabetes the body either cannot make enough insulin or can’t properly use the insulin produced .
Left untreated it can cause severe damage to your body including damage in the eyes, kidney, nerves and many vital organs.
What are the Types of Diabetes
3 Common Types of Diabetes are :
- Type 1 – This type is generally and auto immune disease. insulin is made in the Pancreas and in this type of diabetes the immune system harm and destroy the cells in the pancreas
- Type 2– In this type of diabetes your body becomes resistant to insulin. and starts building up sugar in your blood. its also the most commonly found type of diabetes.
- Gestational – While pregnant a hormone is produced by the placed that blocks the insulin and thus causes gestational diabetes.
What is Prediabetes
Prediabetes is a condition in which the sugar level in your blood is high but not high enough to diagnose for a type 2 diabetes.
What are the Symptoms of Diabetes
Some Commonly found symptoms for diabetes include :
- Increase in thirst
- Weight Loss
- urinating frequently
- sores that do not heal
- unclear vision
- extreme fatique
- increase in hunger
Symptoms in Type 1 Diabetes
- Increase in thirst
- unclear vision
- weight loss
- a lot of hunger
Symptoms in Type 2 Diabetes
- Increased urination
- un healing sores
- burred vision
- increased hunger and thirst
- feeling of extreme tiredness
Symptoms of Gestational Diabetes
Many women do not show any symptoms, but symptoms may include extreme thirst and increased urination.
Diabetes symptoms can be so common that they will be hard to spot in many of the cases. Hence it is advice to under blood sugar/ glucose tests under doctor supervision if any such symptoms is experience.
What are the cause of Diabetes
The Cause of Diabetes may be different in different People and are thus categorised.
Causes of Type 1 Diabetes :
The exact reason or the exact cause of the occurrence of type 1 diabetes is till unknow. But experts suggest that our immune cells attacks and completely destroys the beta cells that produce the hormone insulin in the pancreas itself. This type of diabetes may also occur if a virus switched on the immune system attack.
Causes of Type 2 Diabetes :
Genes and Lifestyle Factors play a very important role in this Type 2 Diabetes. Being overweight or having obesity increase a lot of your risk of having type 2 diabetes. Carrying extra weight in your body, majorly on the belly make your cells even more resistant to the insulin effect or the blood sugar level.
Type 2 Diabetes is a genetic condition and may run in families. Members of the family share genes and then become more likely to be a Type 2 Diabetic Being.
Causes of Gestational Diabetes
There are a lot of hormonal Changes in females body during the time of pregnancy, gestational diabetes is a result of these hormonal changes. A hormone is produced by the placenta of the body that results in making the person’s cells less sensitive to the effect of insulin, Which eventually causes high blood sugar levels in the duration of pregnancy.
Females who are pregnant and overweight while getting getting and have gained weight during their pregnancy period have more chances of getting gestational Diabetes.
Want to Treat Diabetes
Doctors may treat Diabetes with a number of different method or medications including medications by mouth or by injections.
Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes
The main treatment for type 1 diabetes is Insulin. There are lots of types of insulin that people use that depends on the duration it lasts and how fast they can show their effect.
Types of Insulin :
- Rapid Acting Insulin – shows action within 15 minutes of intake and the effect can last up to 3-4 hours.
- Short acting Insulin – shows action with 30 minutes and can last up to 3-6 hours.
- Long ACting Insulin – Shows action after 2 hours and lasts up tp 24 hours.
- ultra long acting insulin – shows action after 6 hours and lasts up to 36 hours or more.
- Intermediate acting insulin – shows action within 2-4 hours and lasts up to 12-18 hours.
- Premixed Insulin – shows action in 5 to 60 minutes and lasts up to 10-15 hours.
Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes
The most effective way to manage Type 2 diabetes is diet and exercise. If these steps are not enough to control sugar level in blood then you may have to take medicines. There are number of drugs that help in reducing the sugar level in blood and they all have specific and different ways of doing it .
Some Drugs are alpha – glucosidase, biguanides, DPP-4 inhibitors, Glucagon-like peptide, SGLT2 inhibitors, meglitinides, sulfonylureas, thiazolidinediones.
Treatment of Gestational Diabetes
If you have Gestational Diabetes you will have to check your sugar level a number of time in a day. If the sugar level are high you will have make dietary changes and be physical active , some exercise may help.
How to Diagnose Diabetes
Anyone who shows up symptoms of diabetes must get themselves diagnosed.
Doctors and Healthcare professional use the blood test to diagnose diabetes and pre diabetes, there are a few test that may help you diagnose for the condition.
- The Fasting Plasma Test- This test is done by your plasma sample after you have fasted for around 8 hours.
- The Post Prandial Plasma Test – This test is done after 2 hours of you having eaten your first meal after fasting.
- The HbA1c Test – This test may be done at any hour of the day in any condition (fasting or not), and it gives you a picture of your sugar level for the previous 3 months.
How to Diagnose Gestational Diabetes
In this condition, blood sugar tests are performed in the 24th week and 28th week of pregnancy.
There are two type pf tests that are performed –
- Glucose Tolerance Test – Its is done after you have fasted for overnight. You will be provided with sugary drink and tested after 1 hour of intake and then again after the next 1 hour.
- Glucose Challenge Test- This test is done after 1 hour of you been give a sugary drink.
How to Prevent Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented because it is due to the defect in the immune system.
In case of Type 2 some factors like your age and genes are not under your control, hence other factors may be managed and are controllable. It may be by taking small steps towards your lifestyle include your diet and exercise.
If you are prediabetic and want to prevent Type 2 diabetes, here are some suggestions you must follow to be delay diabetes:
- Eat more vegetable, fruits and whole grains.
- Some Exercise each day will show a very good affect, may cycling or walking.
- Earing smaller portions of meals.
- Try loosing at least 5% of tour body weight if you are overweight.
- Have a strict diet and avoid junk food.
These suggestions are not the only suggestion you need to follow to prevent diabetes. you may consult your doctor if you do not have a clear picture on how to control your lifestyle and prevent diabetes.